Master the Art of Baking with Our Irresistible Parker House Rolls Recipe
Parker House Rolls are a classic American bread roll that originated in the 19th century at the historic Parker House Hotel in Boston. These rolls have become a beloved staple in many households, known for their soft and buttery texture. The unique shape of these rolls, with their signature fold, adds an elegant touch to any meal. Whether you're hosting a dinner party or simply want to enjoy a homemade treat, mastering the art of baking Parker House Rolls will surely impress your family and friends.
Ingredients needed for Parker House Rolls recipe
To make our irresistible Parker House Rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup warm milk (around 110°F)
- 1/4 cup warm water (around 110°F)
- 2 large eggs
These simple yet essential ingredients are the building blocks for creating soft and fluffy Parker House Rolls that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Gather these items before you embark on your baking journey!
Step-by-step instructions to make Parker House Rolls
a. Preparing the dough: Start by combining warm milk, sugar, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes until frothy. Then add melted butter, salt, and flour gradually while mixing until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
b. Shaping the rolls: Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle shape. Brush melted butter over the surface and fold it in half lengthwise. Cut the dough into small rectangles or squares using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
c. Proofing the rolls: Place the cut rolls on a greased baking sheet, leaving some space between each roll. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
d. Baking the rolls: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake the rolls for 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter for added flavor and shine.
Follow these simple steps to achieve perfectly fluffy and delicious Parker House Rolls that will impress your family and friends at any gathering or meal!
Preparing the dough
To prepare the dough for Parker House Rolls, you will need the following ingredients: 4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons instant yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted), 1 cup warm milk, and 2 large eggs.
Start by combining the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix them together until well combined.
Next, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the melted butter, warm milk, and eggs. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix everything together until a soft dough forms.
Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour as needed.
Once the dough is ready, place it back into the mixing bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
After the dough has risen, gently punch it down to release any air bubbles that may have formed. It's now ready to be shaped into rolls according to your preference.
Note: The preparation time may vary depending on your experience level with baking bread. Take your time and enjoy the process of creating these delicious Parker House Rolls!
Shaping the rolls
To shape the Parker House rolls, follow these simple steps:
1. After the dough has risen, gently punch it down to release any air bubbles.
2. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into equal portions. The size of each portion will depend on how big you want your rolls to be.
3. Take one portion of dough and roll it into a smooth ball by cupping your hand over the dough and rolling it in a circular motion against the surface.
4. Place the ball of dough onto a greased baking sheet, leaving some space between each roll for them to expand during baking.
5. Repeat this process with the remaining portions of dough, placing each shaped roll on the baking sheet.
6. Once all the rolls are shaped and arranged on the baking sheet, cover them loosely with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap.
7. Allow the rolls to rest for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until they have doubled in size.
Shaping the rolls is an important step as it helps give them their signature look and texture. The round shape ensures even baking and creates that irresistible softness inside.
Now that you've shaped your Parker House rolls, it's time to move on to proofing them before they go into the oven for that golden-brown perfection!
Proofing the rolls
Proofing the rolls is a crucial step in achieving the perfect texture and flavor. After shaping the rolls, place them on a greased baking sheet, leaving enough space between each roll for expansion. Cover the rolls loosely with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. Allow the rolls to proof in a warm, draft-free area for about 1-2 hours, or until they have doubled in size. This slow rise will develop their rich flavor and light, airy texture. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don't overproof. Once they have risen beautifully, they are ready to be baked to golden perfection!
Baking the rolls
Baking the rolls is the final step in mastering the art of Parker House Rolls. Once you have shaped and proofed the rolls, it's time to let them transform into golden perfection in the oven.
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure to leave some space between each roll for them to expand while baking.
Slide the baking sheet into the preheated oven and let the magic happen. The rolls will gradually rise and turn a beautiful golden brown color, filling your kitchen with an irresistible aroma.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned. Keep an eye on them as baking times may vary depending on your oven. You can also test their doneness by gently tapping the top of a roll – it should sound hollow.
Once baked to perfection, remove the rolls from the oven and let them cool slightly on a wire rack before serving. This will allow them to set and become even more delicious.
The moment has finally arrived – you can now savor these warm, fluffy Parker House Rolls straight from your own kitchen. The combination of their soft texture and buttery flavor is simply divine.
So, gather your loved ones around, break open a roll, slather it with butter, and enjoy every heavenly bite. These freshly baked Parker House Rolls will undoubtedly steal the show at any meal or gathering.
Now that you've mastered this timeless recipe, get creative with different variations and toppings to make them truly your own. Whether you prefer adding herbs or cheese to enhance their flavor or experimenting with different shapes, there are endless possibilities for customization.
Remember, practice makes perfect when it comes to baking. Don't be discouraged if your first attempt isn't flawless – keep trying until you achieve those picture-perfect Parker House Rolls that will impress everyone at your table.
In conclusion, our irresistible Parker House Rolls recipe is a true masterpiece in the world of baking. With a few simple ingredients and some patience, you can create these heavenly rolls that will elevate any meal. So, roll up your sleeves, get your apron on, and let the aroma of freshly baked bread fill your kitchen as you embark on this delightful baking journey. Happy baking!
Tips and variations for Parker House Rolls
Tips and Variations for Parker House Rolls:
1. Make sure your yeast is fresh: To ensure a successful rise, always check the expiration date on your yeast packet. Fresh yeast will yield fluffy and light rolls.
2. Experiment with different fillings: While the classic Parker House Rolls are delicious on their own, you can also get creative with fillings. Try adding grated cheese, herbs like rosemary or thyme, or even a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar for a sweet twist.
3. Add a touch of sweetness: If you prefer sweeter rolls, you can add a tablespoon of honey or sugar to the dough mixture. This will give the rolls a subtle sweetness that pairs well with savory dishes.
4. Brush with melted butter: For an extra indulgent touch, brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter before baking. This will give them a beautiful golden crust and add richness to each bite.
5. Freeze for later: If you have leftovers or want to make a big batch in advance, Parker House Rolls freeze well. Simply cool them completely, then place in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. Just thaw and reheat when needed.
6. Miniature versions: Instead of making regular-sized rolls, try shaping smaller portions of dough into bite-sized mini rolls. These are perfect for appetizers or serving alongside soups and salads.
By following these tips and exploring different variations, you can elevate your Parker House Rolls to new levels of deliciousness and impress your family and friends with your baking skills!
Serving suggestions for Parker House Rolls
1. Classic dinner rolls: Serve the warm and fluffy Parker House Rolls as a delightful accompaniment to any meal. They pair perfectly with soups, stews, roasted meats, or even a simple salad.
2. Sliders: Transform these rolls into mini sandwiches by slicing them in half and filling them with your favorite ingredients. Try sliders with ham and cheese, turkey and cranberry sauce, or even pulled pork for a delicious bite-sized treat.
3. Brunch delight: Use the Parker House Rolls as a base for eggs Benedict or create breakfast sliders with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese. The buttery flavor of the rolls adds an extra touch of indulgence to your brunch spread.
4. Bread pudding: Don't let any leftovers go to waste! Stale Parker House Rolls can be transformed into a decadent bread pudding dessert. Simply tear them into pieces, soak in a mixture of milk, eggs, sugar, and spices, then bake until golden brown.
5. Thanksgiving stuffing: Give your traditional Thanksgiving stuffing a twist by using torn-up Parker House Rolls instead of regular bread cubes. The rich flavor and soft texture of the rolls will elevate your stuffing to new heights.
No matter how you choose to serve them, these irresistible Parker House Rolls are sure to impress your family and friends with their buttery goodness and delicate texture. Enjoy!
In conclusion, mastering the art of baking Parker House Rolls is a delightful journey that rewards you with soft, buttery rolls that are perfect for any occasion. The recipe may seem intricate at first, but with practice and patience, you will become a pro in no time.
The aroma of freshly baked rolls filling your kitchen is simply irresistible. These rolls are versatile and can be enjoyed as a standalone treat or as an accompaniment to soups, stews, or holiday feasts. Their golden brown crust and fluffy interior make them a crowd favorite.
Remember to use high-quality ingredients and follow the step-by-step instructions closely for the best results. Don't be afraid to experiment with different fillings or toppings to add your own personal touch to these classic rolls.
Whether you're a seasoned baker or just starting out, our Parker House Rolls recipe is sure to impress. So gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and let the magic of baking unfold in your kitchen. Enjoy the process and savor every bite of these delicious creations. Happy baking!
Published: 04. 12. 2023